Serves 2 to 4
For the roasted strawberries:
- 1pound strawberries (from the market if you can get them), hulled and halved
- 3 to 4tablespoons turbinado sugar, depending on sweetness of berries
- Pinch salt
- 4 to 5thin lemon slices
- Heat oven to 375° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat (the rim is important: the berries will release a lot of juice!), and toss the berries with the sugar right on the baking sheet. Sprinkle them with a pinch of salt, and lay the lemon slices evenly over the top.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the fruit is soft, has released its juice, and the juice has started to thicken just slightly. Remove the lemon slices and let cool completely. These can be made a day ahead.
For the milkshake:
- 1pint good vanilla ice cream
- 1/4cup good-quality buttermilk
- Leaves from 3 healthy mint sprigs
- Roasted strawberries
- Pile everything in a blender and blend! Feel free to add a little more buttermilk if you like a thinner consistency. Pour into glasses and serve.