- cups cubed French or ciabatta bread (about 12 oz)
- tablespoons butter
- package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- cups (1 pint) half-and-half
- teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- lb thick-sliced bacon, cooked, drained and coarsely chopped
- green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 Heat oven to 300°F. On large cookie sheet, spread bread cubes. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until dry.
- 2 Line sides of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with foil that has been folded into thirds; spray with cooking spray.
- 3 In 10-inch skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until tender.
- 4 In large bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half and pepper flakes with whisk. Reserve 3/4 cup cheese; set aside. Stir in remaining cheese, the bacon, bell pepper and 2 tablespoons of the parsley. Fold in bread cubes; stir to coat. Spoon mixture into slow cooker.
- 5 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or on High heat setting 2 to 3 hours or until temperature reaches 160°F in center and egg mixture is set.
- 6 Sprinkle reserved cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons parsley over top. Cover; cook about 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove foil before serving by loosening edges with table knife.