Here is the recipe:
S e r v e s 4
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 4 equal pieces
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock or 1 cup chicken stock
plus 1 cup coconut milk
1 cup sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
3 bay leaves
3 whole birdseye chiles (optional)
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil until very hot but not smoking. Season the ribs with the salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the ribs to the pan, in batches if necessary, and brown well on all sides, about 3 minutes total.
2. Transfer the ribs to a plate, pour off the oil, and return the ribs to the pan.
3. Add the chicken stock (and coconut milk, if using), vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper, and whole chiles, if using.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 1 hour and 20 minutes, skimming off excess fat as you cook.
5. Transfer the ribs to a plate, increase the heat, and reduce the sauce until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and chiles. Return the ribs to the sauce or arrange the ribs on a platter and pour the sauce on top.