- 2 tablespoons DeLallo olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (chicken or smoked sausage)
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 ounces DeLallo uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the sausage slices, onion, red pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion and peppers are tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Add in the chopped kale, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, and fennel seed.
- Add in penne pasta and broth. Stir until combined. Cover with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until pasta is al dente. Remove lid, stir and add in the fresh mozzarella cheese. Stir and cook until cheese is melted. Top with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve warm.
Note-we like to use our 10-inch cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a lid for your pot or skillet, you can place a large baking sheet over the skillet/pot to cover. You can also use DeLallo’s whole wheat or gluten free pasta in this recipe.
All images and text ©.